Good books about the Napoleonic Wars

• 36 Replies

Good books about the Napoleonic Wars
« on: January 30, 2007, 09:34:39 PM »
Napoleonics is what got me into books, before i got intrested in this topic I had only read one book in mye Semi adult life.
I discover Histwar, i guess most of you know about this game, but i found out that i knew to little about the subject and i asked for some good books to get into the subject, and they gave me The Campaigns of Napoleon by David Chandler, the book about 1200 pages wich is alot for a almost first time reader. but i started and got hooked. the book dosn't go that deep in the battles, but all the battles are there and you get a feel of the period, it's politcs and warfare. you get most of the players of the time, the Marhasl, Generals, Emprors' ect.
Here's a link to the book http://www.amazon.com/Campaigns-Napoleon-David-G-Chandler/dp/0025236601/sr=8-1/qid=1170188615/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-3017512-4178849?ie=UTF8&s=books

The Second book I read was "Wellington's Rifles: Six Years to Waterloo with England's Legendary Sharpshooters"
It gave a more personal view of the war, Campaigns of Napoleon gave a more overview, but this book show the story of soldiers in the napoleonic wars. and the life in an army at the time. great book, and at times verry sad. So far my favorite book (it beats out the lord of the rings easly)
link to this book http://www.amazon.com/Wellingtons-Rifles-Waterloo-Legendary-Sharpshooters/dp/0802714374/sr=1-1/qid=1170188894/ref=sr_1_1/105-3017512-4178849?ie=UTF8&s=books

The trid book I havn't read yet, but I'm realy looking forward to it. It's more of a collectors item then a book.
It's called Napoleons Finest, and telles the story of Napoleons 3rd corps, and His best Marshal, Davout.
http://www.militaryhistorypress.com/NapoleonsFinest.html
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 07:39:55 PM by Lord Zimoa »

Offline Sharpe

• Kings Own clan website
Re: Good books about the Naoleonic Wars
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 10:24:58 PM »
I was the opposite way around, books got me into the napoleonic history, and by default NTW2

Thnx for the links to the books, looks like there are some intresting ones

I've enjoyed 'Rifles' by Mark Urban, a close look at every aspect of the rifles unit on campaign, it follows the regiment in a way that draws you in and attaches you to the characters, even though its a non fiction book
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do & die

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 06:36:42 PM »
yes  Mark Urban's book is great, and verry sad when surtan people die.
and the whole fiering squad was also kinda tought to read.

Offline Sharpe

• Kings Own clan website
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 10:53:19 PM »
Aww yer i remember that bit

Poor bloke, its great the way he writes non fiction yet it draws you in the same way as fiction writers are able to
Really makes you care about the characters
Theirs but to do & die

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 02:41:38 AM »
Redcoats, is a very good book on the British army of the time, covers everythin you could need to know....

PS. Crow, Zimoa whoever, looks like you need to import all the old threads from the old lordz forum so we dont repeat all the old topics over again   :P

sweet_william

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 03:32:29 AM »
Good day

Well this game seems to be promising! I've enjoyed several titles from Slitherine Studios.

I think the best literature about the Napoleonic Wars are the "Sharpe" books by Bernard Cornwell! Also available as DVD with Sean Bean!
I bought the books immediately after I saw the DVD's!
I think those are a definate must! for every history Buff enjoying the Napoleonic area!

The life of a common soldier rising in the ranks at the side of Sir Arthut Wellesley Duke of Wellington are simply incredible...

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 04:03:53 AM »
lol Sharpe books are good, but too full of fanciful storylines to be anything other than a good read.

Offline Sharpe

• Kings Own clan website
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 05:13:52 PM »
Agreed, although i love the sharpe books there just too imporbably to be truley great

I've actualy just purchased red coats, havent had a chance to start it yet though it looks gd.
Theirs but to do & die

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 10:10:40 PM »
if you want a great fictional read get "Rifleman Dodd" its way better than any of the Sharpe books

Dhekelian

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2007, 01:05:50 AM »
You mean Death to the French by CS Forrester? I just got it on Audio Disc and was brilliant it had everything in there and I'm sure that I read that the Sharpe saga was based on this book, I also liked the Hornblower stuff from the sea point of view but I got all the fact based stuff, campaigns and overviews which are brill as well.

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2007, 01:43:18 AM »
there's been two editions, one was called riflemen dodd, and the other called death to the french. i own a copy of each. even though it is the exact same story....

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2007, 01:45:00 AM »
bernard cornwell has said the dodd influenced sharpe a bit, but wasnt totally based on him.

oh and also in sharpes escape, there is a passage mentioning dodd when he gets seperated from his company at Bussaco....

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2007, 01:12:04 PM »
Personally I quite liked The Funken books, both Napoleonic and the Seven yearswar ones!

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2007, 04:37:49 PM »
I dont really like Cornwell books, they all are very similar to my mind.Someone told me once that Hornblower books are better.

Basically, my favourite book on napoleonic wars is Napoleon's army by Oleg Sokolov.It is really the best illustrated and most informative one I've ever found.On my personal opinion it is much better than Adkin's Waterloo and Trafalgar Companions.
Animus facit nobilem

Offline Sharpe

• Kings Own clan website
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2007, 11:39:29 PM »
Yer Cornwell's books have a habit of endlessly repeating themselves

His main problem seems to be he doesnt know when to finish a series, i like the sharpe books, but the last two were terrible, they seemed to be just a half hearted attempt to keep the series running beyond its life span

I personally befered the Hornblower books
Theirs but to do & die