Terry Jones Barbarians!

• 10 Replies

Terry Jones Barbarians!
« on: February 12, 2007, 08:36:16 PM »
I'm reading is book now, and if even half of what is writen in the book is true, the the romans really F*ed Europe.

the book challences the normal view of roman propaganda. and shows us what the "barbariens were like" and all the stuff the romans destoryed when conquring the europe.

Some evidence show that the geek was maby 100-200 years away from an industrial revulotion almost 1500 years before it happend.
and that the gauls were't poor dirty barbariens, but incredebly rich, that was infact the reason for the roman invasion of gaul. the money.
Ceasar needed money so i made up an excuse to invade.

I recomend the book to everybody
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 11:32:21 PM by Lord Zimoa »

Offline Scipio

• Mad hater
Re: Terry Jones Barbarians!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 11:03:10 AM »
As far as Gauls are concerned, they had a good amount of gold, but didn't live that well. And remember that you didn't need a reason to invade a country back then  :P

Could have been for the gold, but prestige and getting rid of a relatively annoying neighbor could have been it too. Look at it this way, without the Romans conquering Gaul, the region would never have been so populous after. At the beginning of the 14th century, historians think that France had about 22 millions habitants, which is an insane number. The 100 years wars did hurt, as they were only 30 millions during Napoleon'a era, half a century later, but that's still a big number.

Caesar was Napoleon's precursor! hehe
Well! Uh? No..

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 03:19:09 PM »
at the end of the westen roman eara, the population dwindled all over the emipre.
you should read the book, it debunks alot of roman propoganda

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 05:06:57 PM »
I'm reading some Roman history.
It seems that they first started to eliminate their neighbours for survival reasons. I mean in these times it was "Conquer or be conquered". Later when their military became superior the excuse to conquer a neighbour was more for selfish ambition. The excuse was: we feel threatened so we take out the neighbour (kill most of the man and put the rest into slavery to run your economy). Then of course they felt threatened by the new neighbour and had to take them out. Good excuse for expansion.
In my eyes mostly not noble intentions from the Romans. It led to destruction for millions of people.
Look at it this way, without the Romans conquering Gaul, the region would never have been so populous after.
That was not a comfort to the people who were conquered. They lost family members, everything they owned and were put into slavery. Also the people of the conquered nations didn't like the Roman occupation. They were kept down through brutal power.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 05:14:01 PM by William the Silent »
Men willingly believe what they wish - Gaius Julius Ceasar

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 01:39:03 PM »
People often make the mistake of thinking of Gaul as France, it was not even a single nation being made up of many Celtic tribes (which where in most areas of Europe).

I have heard the argument before that the greeks where on the verge of a technological breakthrough, and i think that it would have been interesting if greece had not been conquored, but to have an industrial revolution you need a certain amount of stability and resouces neither of which greece had.

Offline Scipio

• Mad hater
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 01:54:05 PM »
What Roman propaganda anyway? There are so many historical sources, and so many roman historians, the vision we have of them is pretty accurate.

The Greek nations didn't need the Romans to fall. Greece wasn't even unified, and cities like Athens, Corinth and Sparta were far from their golden age, the Ptolemeian (sp?) dynasty was getting it's a**e kicked by the seleucids, and the seleucids were getting their arses kicked by a lot of people at the same time.
Well! Uh? No..

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 06:42:03 PM »
vel, the romans deleted most of the texts from other people the conquerd. like Dacia, there whole existens was completely deleted from the historybooks

Dhekelian

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 09:17:44 PM »
I will certainly look out for this as I too share the vision that the Romans are over done certainly to how wonderful they were. I downloaded a program called Britain BC and it's dedicated to show that Britain was thriving before the Romans came and goes someway to explode certain Celtic myths certain parts of the British Isles still hold as truth today, like the Saxons massacred the Celts, pure fentasy. It shows that Celts came to the Britsh Isles 15,000 years ago mainly from the Catalan region of Spain and from the Ukraine. In this country certainly going back to victorian times history is taught from the Romans onward, Victorians thought Barbarians (A Roman word in itself) were not to be wrote about. You look in the British Museum and there is a tiny section on Britain BC. Anyway to cut a long story short it goes onto say that language, european trade, farming,  roads, civilisation, laws ETC were in Britain long before the Romans came and was a thriving community. The Romans certainly did some wonderful things but as most accounts of the time come from Roman sources it is a bit in favour of them no? http://www2.digitaldistractions.org:8080/torrents.php?showid=documentaries It's on there I just rembered and was very informative.

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007, 09:44:24 PM »
Ofcouse you should not take one book as the thruth but it's a very good read and it makes you think, it kinda gives you an ide about just how random history is.
easy and fun to read and it's only like £15 from play.com worth a look

Dhekelian

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2007, 03:20:27 PM »
Oh yeah I agree but historians now are coming out the woodwork saying much the samething.  45

Offline Scipio

• Mad hater
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2007, 02:42:27 AM »
Well alright, I'm sure most of the information in there is backed up by evidences, and I agree that the Romans DID destroy other cultures to impose theirs (even though it was, at least before the decadence, a good model). Really, what the barbarians lacked was cohesion. Had it been a kingdom and not a loose confederation, Gaul would have wtfpwnt.

And curse you Hannibal! For not finishing off Rome after Cannae.
Well! Uh? No..