Whats your Favorite Napoleonic Weapon?

• 17 Replies

Re: Whats your Favorite Napoleonic Weapon?
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2007, 07:03:31 PM »
the baker is a beautifull weapon, but what about the sabre of the imperial garde, with a kligenthal blade- ooo!

I do like the brit 9lbers too. They were an awesome weapon- practically they were equal to the french 12lbers, though on paper the 12lber looks better. But the beauty of the 9lber was its weight which meant less horses to transport, easier and quicker to hook up and so eventually a lot of the brit horse artillery end up with them too! Bonus! ;D

The brits even started with 12lber and long and short calibre 6's in the peninsula (the long being as good as a french 8lber, even slightly better), both of which were lighter than the french, but I suspect that the versatility of the 9lber won out. (there are some good articles on the 12lber on the Napoleon Series websit.
 soapbox (I shall stand down now)

Sorry to get a little off topic, but does anyone know if the French 12lber were used in the peninsula- I know they stayed on the griebeaval 4, 8 and 12 system, when the continental french army went to the year 11; 6 and 12's, but I have heard that the 12's were too heavy and impractical to use in Spain on the scrubby terrain, so it was mainly 8's for foot and 4's for horse. (Edit- this is for field artillery not the siege train, and there could well have been a few battles later at vittoria and the like.) (not many units got 12s anyway, even foot, its one of those urban myths that the french always used 12's) It seems to make sense, given the shortage of french horses even for the damn cavalry, but I can't back up the few references (well one decent one)

blimey I'm still on that soap box ain't I!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 10:24:16 AM by adamparsons »

Offline Daan

• Vive L'empereur
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2007, 08:54:35 PM »
I choose the Charleville 1777 An IX musket. It is just a beauty to see.  ;D

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2007, 12:11:42 AM »
I choose the Charleville 1777 An IX musket. It is just a beauty to see.  ;D

Aye that they are i have the Dragon version sat on my wall 003 a true beauty. 002