best battlefiield movies!

• 29 Replies

Re: best battlefiield movies!
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2007, 03:36:41 AM »
Do u think Shakespeare would of made a good battle field commander as he had meany speeches to hand to ralley his troops. ::)

Thinking of Shakespeare hes like the 1st post Romen George lucas or Steven Spielberg in his time and probly would of made great movies. 003

Dhekelian

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2007, 03:52:35 PM »
Not sure about being a 'field commander' but he could without no doubt write some inspiring speeches for Generals. My favourite speech was from Elizabeth I, just before the Armada battle. Indirectly Shakespeare owes a lot to her as it was Elizabeth I that it possible for playwrights to flourish.

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2007, 05:15:17 PM »
Not sure about being a 'field commander' but he could without no doubt write some inspiring speeches for Generals. My favourite speech was from Elizabeth I, just before the Armada battle. Indirectly Shakespeare owes a lot to her as it was Elizabeth I that it possible for playwrights to flourish.

Well yes i agree. I have red Bernard Cornwells The Last Kingdom The Pale Horseman and Lords of the North and imo these books are as good as watching a movie they really are Great books to read and cant wait to read the next 1 003, These books are about King Alfred and the Vikings and a young hero and in these books it seems King Alfred could of use someone like Shakespeare before battle ::). All that said damn fine Books as if u where really there. 002

Dhekelian

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2007, 07:54:36 PM »
King Alfred is one of my heroes, lol. Are those books in a trilogy?

Offline Lord Zimoa

• Timeo hominem unius libri.
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2007, 10:30:36 PM »
Speaking about good battle speeches and movies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDecLiA_Qbw

Cheers,

LZ

P.S.
His magisterial portrayal of General George S Patton won him the Best Actor award at the 1971 Oscars. Scott shocked Hollywood by being the first person ever to refuse an Academy Award.

He said that the politics surrounding such awards was "demeaning" and described the Oscar ceremony as "a two-hour meat parade".
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 10:35:20 PM by Lord Zimoa »

Offline Lord Zimoa

• Timeo hominem unius libri.
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2007, 10:52:40 PM »
Also try to watch this Japanese beauty one day:

Kagemusha is an Oscar-nominated 1980 film by Akira Kurosawa.

George Lucas and Francis Ford Coppola are credited at the end of the film as executive producers in the international version. This is because they convinced 20th Century Fox to make up a shortfall in the film's budget when the original producers, Toho Studios, could not afford to complete the film. In return, 20th Century Fox received the international distribution rights to the film.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kagemusha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8s0ZWYSvdw

Cheers,

LZ

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2007, 08:42:06 AM »
King Alfred is one of my heroes, lol. Are those books in a trilogy?

Yeah they are atm but there should be a forth 1 to come out soon  003 cant wait. 002

Offline Trothy

• English
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2007, 01:29:14 PM »
 003hi gents this is my first chat on this forum and here are some movies that i like Cromwell with Richard Harris & Alec Guinness, the Light horse men, EL CID charlton heston, the fall of the roman empire, the vikings with Kirk Douglas & Tony Curtis, and some of the battle stuff in lord of the rings return of the king is good, and all the others on the list. sharpe series , Rome, band of brothers,hornblower, and my fav. Patriot, waterloo, war and peace, master & comm, the alamo both of them,troy , 300 spartans the old one with richard egan. hay this is fun, yes you can say i like war movies a lot i must have about 600 dvds war movie s by now so thiers not much i have not seen, plus a lot of games as well, but not this one yet not here in oz yet  i realy like rome total war good game,but I love making maps on cossaks and American Con, fight back, anyway sorry about babbling on getting carried away I gess.

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2007, 06:06:24 AM »
Hey there Trothy,  Welcome to the forum!   Nice list you got there, thanks for posting.

600 DVDs?  Wow.   

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2007, 09:17:44 PM »
I have about 400 movies and 212 tv series

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2007, 04:22:07 AM »
That's 400 + 212 = 612: 12 more then Trothy. I guess you're a little bit more crazy in thar area.
Men willingly believe what they wish - Gaius Julius Ceasar

Offline Trothy

• English
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2007, 11:47:05 AM »
I have about 400 movies and 212 tv series
005sorry that i took so long to reply very bisy at work, so 612  dvds not bad not bad at all but i only counted my war movies dvds I should have added my sifi colection and my westerns that would make it about 982 dvds in all sorry 005

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2007, 11:36:53 PM »
so 612  dvds not bad not bad at all but i only counted my war movies dvds I should have added my sifi colection and my westerns that would make it about 982 dvds in all

OMG Thats a lot of Mug coasters   035

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2007, 01:36:40 PM »
I just whent High Def.

Got me a HD TV and HD DVD player and 20+ HD DVD's

Offline Trothy

• English
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2007, 07:37:06 AM »
I just whent High Def.

Got me a HD TV and HD DVD player and 20+ HD DVD's
040 HD is the way to go gunny it makes a big dif when you got a good flick to watch with HD, have you seen the new blue ray dvds with Hd yet M8 I think its fantastic. 003