Best Roman General

• 8 Replies

Offline Sharpe

• Kings Own clan website
Best Roman General
« on: May 13, 2007, 11:41:05 PM »
I dont know all that much about the roman period, but it is one that fasinates me. The most famous roman has to be Gaius Julius Ceaser, but did he really stand out as a general above other romans during the time of the republic? Basically i was wandering if anyone could tell me of they think that he was any better than the many other famous romans, such as Sulla, Marius, Pompey, Scipio Africanus and others.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 11:43:29 PM by Sharpe »
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do & die

Re: Best Roman General
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 01:39:14 AM »
I don't know who sulla is. Marius invented the Caesars Legion system so he obviously was gifted with a military mind although I don't know any battles he commanded if he ever did. Pompey was one of Romes top generals in Caesars time but he was beaten by Caesars smaller, weaker army. One battle lost is one too many in that case. Africanus copied Hannibals tactic and used it against him to defeat him. After that his career fell apart I think because of poor politics. He maybe could be described as "doing a good shift for Rome".

Offline Lord Zimoa

• Timeo hominem unius libri.
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 11:31:50 PM »
Forgotten by many historians so many times, an amazing career.

Roman Byzantine general Belisarius:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belisarius

Cheers,

LZ

Dhekelian

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 01:54:10 AM »
Who was that one in that Monty Python film with the lisp? He gets my vote, LOL  002

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 01:08:01 PM »
yes Biggus Dickus is the best

Offline Lord Wellington

• Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 04:22:36 PM »
Quote from: Minney07
I don't know who sulla is.

You don't know who is Sulla?!! 001

Lucius Cornelius Sulla is probably one of the personages who influenced more the Roman History. He was a great man, even if sometimes pitiless. Personally I think it should be blows wide open traditional views of Sulla as a tyrant and harsh military dictator and instead it should be delivered a compellingly complex portrait of a man obsessed with the belief that he was blessed with divine favour.

Anyway the most famouse portrait of Sulla was written by Sallust in Bellum Iugurthinum. However it was only according the viewpiont of the Roman historian, that sometimes was not so impartial (Sallust was a Caesarian and a supporter of Marius, that is to say an opposer of Sulla), but it's also interesting to notice this admiration of Sallust for Sulla that is shine in the description.

"While this affair was in progress, the quaestor, Lucius Sulla, entered the camp with a large force of cavalry, which he had been left behind at Rome to levy from Latium and the allies. Our subject thus brings this remarkable man to our notice, and it, therefore, seems fitting briefly to describe his character and accomplishments, as we shall have no other opportunity of speaking on Sulla, and Lucius Sisenna, who has composed the best and most painstaking treatise of any writer on this subject, seems to me hardly to have spoken his mind with freedom.
   Sulla, then, was nobly born, of a patrician house, and a family which the indolence of his ancestors had reduced to obscurity. He was as well versed in the literatures of Greece and Rome as the most learned, a man of great aspiration, eager for pleasure, yet more eager for fame, luxurious in his leisure, yet never suffering pleasure to withdraw him from his duties, except that he might have better consulted his honor in his married life. He was eloquent, shrewd, and an obliging friend, with a quite incredible skill in feigning and concealment, and of great generosity in many matters, and especially with regard to money. Before his triumph in the civil war, though the most fortunate of men, his luck never surpassed his energy, and many doubted whether he could more rightly be called the fortunate or the brave. As to his subsequent conduct I do not know whether its narration would be a more shameful or a more disgusting task."

Bellum Iugurthinum, XCV, 1-10

I have the honor to be, &c.

WELLINGTON

- LW -
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 11:38:03 PM by Lord Wellington »
"Napoleon didn't manoeuvre at all. He came on in the same old style and he was defeated in the same old style" - The Duke of Wellington

Offline Monochrome

• Too short to be a Grognard
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 01:11:02 AM »
I would go for Scipio. His offensive against carthago was amazing and the battle of Zama was the confirmation of his military genius.
"God is dead but considering the state of species man is in, there will be caves, perhaps for ages yet, in which his shadow will be shown."

- Friederich Nietzsche

Offline Trothy

• English
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 08:15:27 AM »
 003 hi M8s its hard to pick the best roman general, for thier is  so many of them too choose from, a lot of them have thier good points and bad, but i like Marius for  if it was not for his reforms, and compleate restructure of the roman army in paticular its legionary creatation of a professional army, you would not have generals like caesar and Trajan who is my favorite,  I should say Marcus Ulpiius Trajanus 44 year old governor of upper Germany . an excellent soldier and statesman and  considered to be the fiest Roman Emperor. and i think the  nices uniforms at that time. ;D

Offline Scipio

• Mad hater
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2007, 01:45:06 AM »
It's all about Gaius Terrentius Varro, the man behind the battle of Cannae! I mean, look at the guy, he managed to totally reverse the odds of the fight, despite the difference of strength between the two armies. Just not in his favor 005
Well! Uh? No..