HISTORY™ Great Battles Medieval available on next generation console platforms!

• 11 Replies

Offline Lord Zimoa

• Timeo hominem unius libri.
Outside the PC versions we have some more great news.

The Great Battles series will also be available on next generation console platforms and the Commander series will be coming to handheld consoles next year and !

HISTORY™ Great Battles Medieval. A historic strategy video game released for Xbox 360®, PLAYSTATION®3, and PC.  040

Cheers,

Tim aka LZ
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 02:08:56 PM by Lord Zimoa »

Offline Joker

Outside the PC versions we have some more great news.

The Great Battles series will also be available on next generation console platforms and the Commander series will be coming to handheld consoles next year and !

I guess each has it's own opinion on what can be perceived as "good news" !

Joker takes list of games interested in:

- LOWN
- Commander Series
- TGBotMA
- Empire: Total War
- Histwar: Les Grognards
- NorbSoftDev development of a ACW game

Any other "great news" you want to share with us ?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 06:38:17 PM by Joker »

Offline Lord Zimoa

Yes, all our games will go crossplatform, as much as we can if we want to survive.

As I told you before just like Commander, the console version has nothing to do with the PC version, how could it be as the two are totally different platforms and have totally different technical requirements, so the games are also totally different in design and gameplay.

They share the same title and branding but Commander on PC is a total different game compared to a handheld console version. It is in fact a new design on a total different engine and a whole different game.

So if you do not like a console, do not buy it, but judging a game just because it will also be published on any kind of console later on, is short sighted.

Tim aka LZ

Offline Joker

1) I think you know aswell as I do LZ that any cross platform made game has always been done by down scalling the posibilities of one or the other, history teaches us so.

2) If it really is a different engine and the PC version is totally independent of the RAMBOX version, then I retract my previous opinion and will certainly take a look at it !

Offline Lord Zimoa

The technical difference between a PC and a handheld is way to big. The memory of a handheld could not even load the intro screen of the PC version.  040

You are talking about two very different platforms that are miles away from eachother.

Tim

Offline Joker

I wasn't really referring to the handhelds, but to the consoles (XBOX, PS) 040

How manny times have developers just ported their code from PC to console and vice versa just to make a quick extra buck ?!?

Please, don't get me wrong, I understand that any type of console can bring money in the till, and that their is no way around it these days.

I just hope that you guys are able to atleast keep one game solely for the PC like LOWN and not port it towards any type of console just to get that extra buck in !

Offline Lord Zimoa

How manny times have developers just ported their code from PC to console and vice versa just to make a quick extra buck ?!?

Sad reality is that PC only make a few bucks nowadays and hardly repays the development costs of the more expensive games and that the console versions are the ones that make a company a real profit.

Many people hate the fact sole PC development is almost impossible if you want to grow or end up only developing small niche hard core games. But this is the new reality of today's market.

Even than we have to battle against the big guys, who get most of the shelf exposure and have millions of marketing budget behind them.

It is David against Goliath here.

Tim

Offline Joker

Well, I don't agree with you on that:

First, take a look at the Total War series, over the years, they have been growing each and every time they released a new game, whether it's going in the right direction is another matter, but, noone can deny that they are infact growing !

Second, if you look at a publisher like Stardock, who published the game Sins of a Solar Empire developed by Ironclad (both of them are relative small companies) they made it exclusively for PC and sold about 500.000 thousand copies.

Third, if you look at CDProjekt, who's very first game The Witcher was solely PC and has sold amazingly.

YOu really can conclude that games developed solely for PC do still have a good chance of surviving, the only thing is, developers and publishers out there need to put in some more effort in creating PC games that ADD features and make THEIR game special so people go out and buy the game.

Publishers are these days quick to decide that it's not worth it, my opinion, their being lazy and want a quick buck, that's it.

Some publishers and developers are turning their opinions and it's those that I think we PC gamers have to support !

Offline Lord Zimoa

For every success I can give you ten companies that went down. The TW series is a big exception, I do not argue that it is not possible, if you have a hit on PC it is well possible. Just that at the moment the console market is much more rewarding and much bigger than the sole PC market within the game industry.

That does not mean I agree with you we would like to have that PC hit, but it is more likely a company will survive if they also develop some console games in the future. What I see is that big companies like Rockstar, first bring out the console versions and only afterwards port to PC.

The sale figures that you will find on WII, DS, PSP, Xbox 360, PS2 and PS3 cannot be ignored by any developer.

It is a fact PC market is no longer the dominant market, it is not that we like it, as at heart we are all PC adepts and of that generation, but you cannot blame any developer looking at it.

The console market is the dominant market at the moment, a simple fact if we like it or not.

Tim aka LZ

Offline Joker

For every success I can give you ten companies that went down. The TW series is a big exception, I do not argue that it is not possible, if you have a hit on PC it is well possible. Just that at the moment the console market is much more rewarding and much bigger than the sole PC market within the game industry.

Ok, I'll make it easy on you:

- TW Series. (The Creative Assembly).
- Company of Heroes. (Relic)
- Cossacks Series. (GSC) Sold more then two million of there games !
- Sins of a Solar Empire. (IronClad) Sold over 500.000 copies, of which 400.000 in retail !

That means, you have to give me just fourthy companies that went down, won't be a problem right !

Guess it pays of to develop a solid game !

The sale figures that you will find on WII, DS, PSP, Xbox 360, PS2 and PS3 cannot be ignored by any developer.
Agreed, as I mentioned earlier, that does'nt mean a development company can't have a PC alone tittle, if they make a great game, it WILL sell ! But, that's it, it costs time and money, publishers wish to see money without being expected to invest time in it to get that quality !

It is a fact PC market is no longer the dominant market, it is not that we like it, as at heart we are all PC adepts and of that generation, but you cannot blame any developer looking at it.
Problem here is that the console market is often seen as ONE entity, their sales get mixed together after which the console gurus start screaming that their sales are so much higher then the PC, while infact, I'm sure if you had the opportunity to look at each individually, it wouldn't be the case. Moreover, each type of console needs it's own development cycly as each console has it's own hardware and software where specific code has to be written for.

The console market is the dominant market at the moment, a simple fact if we like it or not.
I'll certainly won't deny that consoles as a "whole" are dominant, I'm not so sure if that's the case when you look at them each individually !

I just hope you guys have the balls to develop atleast one game purely for us PC gamers and let those RAMBOXers have the rest !
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 12:16:34 PM by Joker »

Offline Lord Zimoa

Re: Great Battles will also be available on next generation console platforms!
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 12:54:05 PM »
I just hope you guys have the balls to develop atleast one game purely for us PC gamers and let those RAMBOXers have the rest !

Last time I checked they were still hanging in the correct place!  005

Tim aka LZ

Offline Joker

Re: Great Battles will also be available on next generation console platforms!
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2008, 01:09:14 PM »
Last time I checked they were still hanging in the correct place!  005

Tim aka LZ

ROFL, good for you LZ, good for you  005