Pike & Shot
“War is not a river, or a lake, but an ocean of all that is evil” (Gustav II Adolf, King of Sweden)
Pike and Shot is developed by Byzantine Games and The Lordz Games Studio.
In the age of Pike and Shot, mighty struggles erupted across Europe for causes religious, political or dynastic. The Thirty Years War raged across Germany and beyond, leaving devastation in its wake, but saw the rise of great commanders such as Count Tilly, Wallenstein and King Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden, and rapid developments in battlefield tactics. Musketeers “gave fire” in a duel to the death, pikeman held stolidly against enemy assaults, and cavalry charged to glory or defeat. You can take command in the greatest historical battles of the war, fight stand-alone “what-if” scenarios, or design your own scenarios using the easy to use editor.
Pike & Shot is now mature enough to show more of the game to public! This upcoming strategy game designed by Richard Bodley Scott – the mastermind behind the Field of Glory table-top wargame rules – aims to simulate the majors battles in the age of Pike and Shot – the 16th and 17th centuries.
The period covered by this game is particularly interesting from a tactical point of view as lots of changes occurred on the battlefield at that time. In only two hundred years commanders have been substituting traditional medieval tactics with modern ones, inserting musketeers and artillery in the armies. Obviously the players will be able to feel this tactical revolution in Pike & Shot!
This setting, combined with the approachable and visually immersive Battle Academy 2 engine, makes Pike & Shot a very engaging title for any gamer that has an interest for this period. 3 huge campaigns, a skirmish mode that allows to generate an infinite number of “What-if” scenarios and a multiplayer system powered by the famous PBEM++ come together for a captivating experience in the heart of the bloodiest battles of the Renaissance.
- Accurate simulation of battle in the 16th and 17th century Age of Pike and Shot.
- Unique graphic style based on 17th century styles and battle paintings.
- 10 full-sized historical battles in each campaign- The Thirty Years War, English Civil War (expansion) and 16th century Italian Wars (expansion).
- Classic Turn-based, tile based gameplay.
- Easy to use interface, hard to master gameplay.
- Battalion-sized units.
- Single player and multiplayer modes.
- Stand-alone battle system allows unlimited “what-if” scenarios using historically realistic armies from carefully researched army lists, on realistic computer generated terrain maps.
- Stand-alone scenarios are randomly generated and include open battle, attack on a defensive position, defence of a defensive position, awaiting reinforcements, enemy awaiting reinforcements, flank march.
- In stand-alone games players can pick their armies from the army list or allow the computer to pick the army for them.
- Effective AI makes sound tactical decisions. Historical battle AI customised to the historical tactical situation.
- 5 difficulty levels allow the challenge to increase as you develop your battlefield skills.
- 20 troop-types, 25 “capabilities” and numerous different unit organisations allow full representation of tactical differences and developments throughout the period.
- Detailed model that accurately represents any substantial 16th or 17th century battle world-wide as scenarios are developed.
- Mod friendly game system with built-in map editor.
- Multiplayer mode allows historical scenarios and “what-if” scenarios to be played by two players using Slitherine’s easy to use PBEM server.